Dr. Yang’s program of research is focused on exploring biobehavioral mechanisms of pain and other comorbid symptoms (anxiety, depression, fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, and sleep disturbances) and developing tailored treatment strategies to reduce symptom burden and improve health outcomes for patients with cancer. Dr. Yang is interested in using multi-omics approaches and behavioral phenotyping assays in clinical and preclinical (rodent models) research. Currently, Dr. Yang is working on projects that aim to characterize rigorous phenotypes and uncover novel mechanisms of aromatase inhibitor-associated musculoskeletal symptoms (AIMSS) in breast cancer survivors.
- Adhikari, B., Starkweather, A., Xu, W., Acabchuk, R. L., Ramesh, D., Eze, B., Yang, Y., Yang, G. S., Walker, J., Laubenbacher, R., & Park, C. L. (Submitted). A Pilot Study on Yoga and Mechanism of Action for Chronic Low Back Pain: Psychological and Neurophysiological Changes, Including Global Gene Expression and DNA Methylation, Following a Yoga Intervention for Chronic Low Back Pain. Pilot and Feasibility Studies.
- Kim, J., Yang, G. S., Lyon, D. E., Kelly, D. L., & Stechmiller, J. K. (Epub Ahead of Print). Metabolomics: Impact of comorbidities and inflammation on sickness behaviors for individuals with chronic wounds. Advances in Wound Care.
- Bayer, S., Yang, G. S., & Lyon, D. E. (Epub Ahead of Print). Genetic variations associated with depressive symptoms in breast cancer patients: A systematic review. Cancer Nursing.
- Menzies, V. S., Starkweather, A. R., Yingwei, Y., Kelly, D. L., Garrett, T. J., Yang, G. S., Booker, S., Swift-Scanlan, T., Mahmud, I., & Lyon, D. E. (2021). Exploring associations between metabolites and symptoms of fatigue, depression and pain in women with fibromyalgia. Biological Research for nursing, 23(1), 119-126.
- Yang, G. S., Mi, X., Jackson-Cook, C. K., Starkweather, A. R., Kelly, D. L., Fei, Z., & Lyon, D. E. (2020). Differential DNA methylation following chemotherapy for breast cancer is associated with cognitive dysfunction. Epigenetics, 15(5), 499-510.
- Han, C. J., Yang, G. S., & Syrjalal, K. (2020). Symptom experiences in colorectal cancer survivors after cancer treatments: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Cancer Nursing. 43(3), E132-E158.
- Yang, G. S., Barnes, N. M., Lyon, D. E., Dorsey, S. G. (2019). Genetic variants associated with cancer pain and response to opioid analgesics: Implications for precision pain management. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 35(3), 291-299.
- Gullett, J. M., Cohen, R. A., Yang, G. S., Menzies, V. S., Fieo, R., Kelly, D. L., Starkweather, A. R., Jackson-Cook, C. K., & Lyon, D. E. (2019). Relationship of fatigue with cognitive performance in women with early-stage breast cancer over two years. 28(5), 997-1003.
- Menzies, V. S., Kelly, D. L., Yang, G. S., Startweather, A. R., & Lyon, D. E. (Epub Ahead of Print). A systematic review of the association between fatigue and cognition in chronic noncommunicable diseases (NCDs). Chronic Illness.
- Kelly, D. L., Yang, G. S., Starkweather, A. R., Siangphoe, U., Delpech, P. A., & Lyon, D. E. (Epub Ahead of Print). Relationships among fatigue, anxiety, depression, and pain and health-promoting lifestyle behaviors in women with early-stage breast cancer. Cancer Nursing.
- Yang, G. S., Kumar, S., Dorsey, S. D., Starkweather, A. R., Kelly, D. L., & Lyon, D. E. (2019). Systematic review of genetic polymorphisms associated with psychoneurological symptoms in breast cancer survivors. Supportive Care in Cancer, 27(2), 351-371.
- Kim, H. J., Yang, G. S., Greenspan, J. D., Downton, K. D., Griffith, K. A., Renn, C. L., ... & Dorsey, S. G. (2016). Racial and ethnic differences in experimental pain sensitivity: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain, 158(2), 194-211.
- Yang, G. S., Kim, H. J., Griffith, K. A., Zhu, S., Dorsey, S. G., & Renn, C. L. (2016). Interventions for the Treatment of Aromatase Inhibitor-Associated Arthralgia in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Cancer Nursing, 40(4), E26-E41.
- Han, C. , & Yang, G. S. (2015). Fatigue in irritable bowel syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis of pooled frequency and severity of fatigue. Asian Nursing Research, 10(1), 1-10.
- Griffioen, M. A., Dernetz, V. H., Yang, G. S., Griffith, K. A., Dorsey, S. G., & Renn, C. L. (2015). Evaluation of dynamic weight bearing for measurement non-evoked inflammatory hyperalgesia in mice. Nursing Research, 64(2).
- Yang, G. S., & Choe, M. A. (2013). Effect of anorexia and neuropathic pain induced by cisplatin on hindlimb muscles of rat. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 43(3), 361-369.
Honors & Awards
2021: Scholarship Facilitation Fund, University of Connecticut Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR)
2020: Grant Development Summer Stipends for New Investigators Award, University of Connecticut Institute for Collaboration on Health, Intervention, and Policy (InCHIP)
2020: Roberta Scofield Memorial Certification Award, The Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC)
2016: Alumni Scholarship, Seoul National University Alumni Association (Greater Washington, D.C., area)
2015: Alumni Scholarship, Seoul National University Alumni Association (Greater Washington, D.C., area)
2015: Student Research Facilitation Award, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Biology & Behavior Across the Lifespan (BBAL) Center of Excellence
2015: Mia Loizeaux Scholarship, University of Maryland School of Nursing
2014: Travel Award, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Doctoral Student Organization
2013: Mia Loizeaux Scholarship, University of Maryland School of Nursing
2012 – 2014: Dean Scholarship, University of Maryland School of Nursing