Distance Learning & Clinical Permission to Operate

Distance Learning and Clinical Educational Requirements

Accreditation, State Authorization and Permission to Operate

The Master of Science in Nursing Program, and the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program at the University of Connecticut School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (ccneaccreditation.org).

The University of Connecticut is licensed as an institution of higher learning by the State of Connecticut Office Higher Education is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). NECHE is an accreditation agency recognized by the United States Department of Education.

State Authorization

UConn participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). As such, UConn is authorized to deliver distance learning to students in all SARA states including the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. UConn has permission from the California (non-SARA state) regulators to deliver distance learning to students residing in California. UConn is currently not authorized to deliver distance learning to students residing in Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands.

UConn Professional Licensure Information


U.S. Department of Education regulations require disclosures to students enrolled in, or considering programs leading to professional licensure/certification, regardless of whether the program is offered on-campus or online.

These disclosures fall into three categories:

  • The program curriculum meets educational requirements for licensure in your state.
  • The program curriculum does not meet educational requirements for licensure in your state.
  • We have not determined whether the program curriculum meets educational requirements for licensure in your state.

Please see Program by State Look-Up: for disclosure category.

Permission to Operate & Requirements

Nursing governance boards and various state agencies may set unique requirements for online or distance-based clinical graduate programs that lead to licensure in their state. Please note that these requirements apply if you are a prospective online or distance-based clinical MS nursing students needing to complete an APRN clinical practicum. If you are a non-clinical graduate student, permission to operate requirements may apply to your application to the University of Connecticut School of Nursing. 


Below is a listing of known requirements; these requirements are routinely monitored to maintain accuracy. UConn School of Nursing must have permission to operate for a student to complete their APRN clinical practicums in that state. 


State specific requirements for professional license for student and preceptor:

  • Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.

States with specific forms, fees, processes, professional license requirements:

  • Alabama, Arizona, California, Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Washington, DC, Wisconsin, Texas*

States which are being explored and not yet fully identified:

Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, U.S. Territories.

State permission to operate limited to specific population foci:

New York – NNP students ONLY; must have NY professional license.

No permission to place students in clinical experiences:

Georgia, Colorado

Clinical Site Requirements

The state authorization disclosures made on this webpage have been made for informational purposes and do not supersede existing policies and procedures at the School of Nursing and the Office of Clinical Placement Coordination pertaining to student enrollment or clinical placements. As set forth in the Master’s Student Handbook, MS students, including those who live outside of Connecticut, may be required to attend a clinical site in a state other than their resident state and/or to travel depending on the availability of suitable sites. MS students residing outside of Connecticut should also be aware that in very rare instances, in order to finish the clinical requirements of a degree, students may be required to relocate to Connecticut to finish their clinical course rotations.


Student Complaints

As a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) the University of Connecticut is required to provide an opportunity to voice concerns or lodge complaints. To learn more, please visit the University of Connecticut’s State Authorization page.