Thomas J. Van Hoof
MD, EdD, FACMQ
Director of Teaching and Learning
Joint Appointment in the School of Medicine
- Certified in Medical Quality, American Board of Medical Quality, 2012-2028
- The use of educational interventions to change clinician behavior and improve patient outcomes.
- The application of science of learning strategies to health professions education
Further reading: Learning Science Strategies – Five Modules
Honors and Awards
- 2021: Nancy Langston Research Award, National League for Nursing
- 2020- present: Fellow, American College of Medical Quality
- 2019: Teaching Fellow Award, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, University of Connecticut
- 2014: Mary Lawrence Research Productivity Award, University of Connecticut School of Nursing
- 2013: Health Service Alumni Award, Saint Anselm College
- 2013: Excellence Award for Teaching Promise, UConn Chapter, American Association of University Professors
- 2013: Friend of Nursing Award, Mu Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- 2009: Star Teacher’s Award, University of Connecticut School of Nursing
- 2006: Annual Award for Excellence, Mental Health in Independent School Communities
- 1998: Kaiser Permanente Clinical Teacher of the Year Award, University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Van Hoof, T. J., Leary, C. M., Banfi, V. Polifroni, E. C. (in press). A scoping review of retrieval practice (test-enhanced learning) in nursing education. Nursing Education Perspectives.
Van Hoof, T. J., Sumeracki, M. A., Madan, C. R. (2022). Science of Learning Strategy Series, Article 3, interleaving. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 42(4), 265-268.
Dunnack, H., Van Hoof, T. J., Banfi, V., Polifroni, E. C. (2021). A scoping review of distributed practice in nursing education. Nursing Education Perspectives 42(6), E22-E25.
Van Hoof, T. J., Madan, C. R., Sumeracki, M. A. (2021). Science of learning strategy series: Article 2, retrieval practice. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions 41(2), 119-123.
Van Hoof, T. J., Sumeracki, M. A., Madan, C. R. (2021). Science of learning strategy series: Article 1, distributed practice. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions 41(1), 59-62.
Van Hoof, T. J., Walsh, S. J., Missal, J., Burkey, D. D. (2019). Findings and critique of an extracurricular program in the science of learning to improve educational outcomes for engineering students. Journal of STEM Education: Innovations and Research 20(2), 32-38.
Van Hoof, T. J., Doyle, T. J. (2018). Learning science as a potential new source of understanding and improvement for continuing education and continuing professional development. Medical Teacher 40(9), 880-885.