Associate Clinical Professor
Director of Clinical Partnerships
Dr. Snyder is passionate about educating students about culturally appropriate, affirming, individualized, patient-centered care and understanding their role in shaping health policy. She believes in the potential of all students and advocates for them to reach their goals while guiding them to advocate for others through a lens of cultural humility. Her research has focused on the health care experiences of LGBTQ populations and the experiences of health care providers who care for individuals in these populations. Some of her research interests include health disparities among marginalized and vulnerable populations, including end-of-life and palliative care support, chronic disease, and pain management. As a registered nurse and nursing professor, she has been educating patients and nursing students collectively for nearly 38 years in acute care, community, public health, and academic settings.
- LGBTQ and other marginalized and vulnerable populations
- Adults with developmental disabilities
- Ph.D., Nursing, University of Connecticut
- Certificate in Health Professions Education, University of Connecticut
- MSN, Family Nurse Practitioner Program, West Virginia University
- BSN, University of Central Florida
Honors & Awards
- President’s COVID Recognition Award for Valor
- Nightingale Excellence in Nursing Award
- Carolyn Ladd Widmer – Ph.D. Dissertation Leadership Award
- Connecticut Nurse’s Foundation – Sheila Packard Memorial Scholarship Award Recipient, UConn School of Nursing pre-doctoral fellowship award
Snyder, M. (2014). Emancipatory knowing: Empowering nursing students toward reflection and action. Journal of Nursing Education, 53(2), 65-69.
Snyder, M. (2019). Health care experiences of lesbian women: A metasynthesis. Advances in Nursing Science, 42(1), E1 – E21.
Long, T. L., Rodriguez, C., Snyder, M., & Watson, R. (2020). LGBTQ health and wellness. In D. Amory & S. Massey (Eds.), Introduction to LGBTQ studies. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
|Office Location||SH 220|