I am a nurse scientist, educator, innovator, and researcher focused on maternal-child health, breastfeeding, pain, and genetics. My primary goal is to shift the breastfeeding paradigm from a maternal-only psychological approach to an infant-maternal biopsychosocial science using biopsychosocial mechanisms within the dyadic interaction between infant and mother.
Pain and Pain Management
Cannabinoid Use in Pregnancy and Lactation
Dr. Lucas discusses how breastfeeding takes effort on the part of both the baby and the mother.
†Senior author manuscript
- Srisopa, P. & Lucas, R. (accepted for publication 6/20). Women’s experience of pelvic girdle pain after giving birth: A meta-synthesis. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health.
- *Diallo, A., McGlothen-Bellb, K., Walsh, S., Lucas, R., Allen, C., Henderson, W., Cong, X., & McGrath, J. (2020). Feeding modes, duration, and diarrhea in infancy: Continued evidence of the protective effects of breastfeeding. Public Health Nursing Journal, 00, 1-6. DOI: 10.1111/phn.12683. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/phn.12683
- *Lucas, R., Zhang, Y., Walsh, S., Evans, H., Young, E., & Starkweather, A. (2019). Efficacy of a breastfeeding pain self-management intervention: A pilot randomized controlled trial (RCT). Nursing Research, 68(2), E1-E10. DOI: 10.1097/NNR.0000000000000336. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30829925/
- *Lucas, R., Bernier, K., Perry, M., Evans, H., Ramesh, D., Young, E., Walsh, S., & Starkweather, A. (2019). Promoting self-management of breast and nipple pain in breastfeeding women: Protocol of a pilot randomized controlled trial. Research in Nursing and Health, 42(3), 176-188. DOI: 10.1002/nur.21938. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/nur.21938
- Bernier, K., Ersig, A., Guite, J., Lucas, R., Young, E., & Starkweather, A., (2019). Deconstructing pain disability though concept analysis. Pain Management Nursing, 20(5), 482-488. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmn.2019.06.001. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31279743/
- *Chen, L., Lucas, R., & Feng, B. (2018). A novel system to measure infants’ nutritive sucking during breastfeeding: the Breastfeeding Diagnostic Device (BDD). Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine, 6, 2700208. DOI: 10.1109/JTEHM.2018.2838139. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8367823
- *†Bernier, K., Strobel, M., & Lucas, R. (April 2018). Assessing the effect of an educational assessment on nurses’ understanding and documentation of functional ability in pediatric patients with sickle cell disease. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, S0882-5963(17), 30623-1. DOI: 10.1016/j.pedn.2018.04.001. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0882596317306231
- Lucas, R. &McGrath, J. (2016). Clinical assessment and management of breastfeeding pain. Topics in Pain Management, 32(3), 1-12. https://www.nursingcenter.com/pdfjournal?AID=3846505&an=00587875-201610000-00001&Journal_ID=3402523&Issue_ID=3846504
- *†Smith, R. & Lucas, R. (2016). Evaluation of nursing knowledge of early initiation of breastfeeding in preterm infants in a hospital setting. Journal of Neonatal Nursing, 22(3), 138-143.
- Lucas, R. & Smith, R. (2015). When is it safe to initiate breastfeeding for preterm infants? Advances in Neonatal Care, 15(2), 134-41. DOI: 10.1097/ANC.0000000000000167. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25822518/
- Briere, C., Lucas, R., McGrath, J., Lussier, M., & Brownell, E. (2015). Establishing breastfeeding with late preterm infants in the NICU. JOGNN: Journal of Obstetrical, Gynecological and Neonatal Nursing, 44(1), 102–113. DOI: 10.1111/1552-6909.12536. https://www.jognn.org/article/S0884-2175(15)31775-5/fulltext
- *Lucas, R. & Cutler, A. (2015). Dysregulated breastfeeding behaviors in children later diagnosed with autism. Journal of Perinatal Education, 24(3), 171–180. DOI: 10.1891/1058-1243.24.3.171. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4720870/
- *Lucas, R., Judge, M., Sajdlowska, J., Cong, X., & McGrath, J. (2015). Effect of maternal body mass index on infant breastfeeding behaviors and exclusive direct breastfeeding. JOGNN: Journal of Obstetrical, Gynecological and Neonatal Nursing, 44(6), 772–783. https://doi.org/10.1111/1552-6909.12755
- *Lucas, R., Gupton, S., Holditch-Davis, D., & Brandon, D. (2014). Study of a late preterm infant’s transition to full at-breast feedings at 4 months of age. Journal of Human Lactation, 30(1), 28-30. DOI: 10.1177/0890334413495973. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23860267/
- Lucas, R., Paquette, R., Briere, C., & McGrath J. (2014). Furthering our understanding of the pumping needs of mothers in the NICU: An integrative review. Advances in Neonatal Care, 14(4), 241-52. DOI: 10.1097/ANC.0000000000000110. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25075923/
- *White-Traut, R., Rankin, K., Lucas, R., Shapiro, N., & Medoff-Cooper, B. (2013). Evaluating sucking maturation using two pressure thresholds. Early Human Development, 89(10), 833-837. DOI: 10.1016/j.earlhumdev.2013.07.026. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4164339/
- Bell, A., Lucas, R., & White-Traut, R. (2008). Concept clarification of neonatal neurobehavioral organization. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 61, 570–581. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04561.x. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2573022/
Honors & Awards
2020: Johnson & Johnson Maternal Child Nurse Innovate Finalist
2019: UConn School of Nursing
2019: Mary Lawrence Research Development Award, 2019
2018: Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation: Moore Inventor Fellows Competition. Selected to the National Competition
2017: Maternal report of nipple and breast pain during breastfeeding in late preterm and full-term breastfeeding dyads. Building Brighter Futures: Advances in Pediatric and Neonatal Care. Groton, CT. 2nd Place Poster.
2011: Beta Epsilon Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International “Rising Star Award”
2011: What is in your ultrasound gel? Association of Women’s Health Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses Annual Convention, Denver, CO. Winner of Best poster
2010: Seth Rosen Dissertation Award, University of Illinois at Chicago
2008: University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Graduate Student Poster Competition – MNRS Conference Award Funded to represent UIC
2007: University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Graduate Student Poster Competition - MNRS Conference Award Funded to represent UIC
In the News
Healthcare Innovation Development Through Bedside Discovery and Doctoral Education — MedTech Boston, June 2019
Nursing Science for Nursing Mothers — Unison, Fall 2019, p. 17
Women on Women’s Health — UConn Health Journal, Spring 2018
Breastfeeding preterm infants in the NICU: When is it safe? — Prolacta Bioscience, August 2017