- Health Policy – Role and System Effectiveness, Ethics, Systems Administration, Philosophy of Science
- Autonomy and Nurses’ Voice
- Medication errors
- Interdisciplinary education
- Polifroni and Nursing Research Council (2005) Meaning of autonomy using a focus group methodology ($6500 funded by Middlesex Hospital)
- UConn General Education award $8000 May 2005 for development of interdisciplinary course in end of life care
RUN with LC
[recruiting underrepresented individuals to nursing through learning communities]
RUN with LC is a HRSA funded project dedicated to enhancement of the diversity of the nursing workforce. The project entails activities at The Nursing Academy at Hartford Public High School, the Anna Norris Elementary School in East Hartford and the East Hartford Middle School. As chairperson of the Nursing Academy’s Advisory Board, activities include mentoring, support of graduate assistants to create and advise the Future Nurses’ Club, hosting day and weekend camps at UConn, facilitating visits to college campuses, museum excursions, internships at local health care facilities and agencies, and integrating nursing & health care into all activities in their high school curriculum. Subcontracts with Kaplan and Catapult facilitate achievement of reading and math at grade level for the third grade, introduction to college through ASPIRE at middle school, and PSAT and SAT success at the high school level.
[nurse faculty loan program]
NFLP is a HRSA funded project to recruit and retain nurses to the faculty role. Award recipients who teach for four consecutive full time years after graduation from their PhD program are eligible to receive up to 85% of their loans forgiven. During their school years, the recipients participate in a learning community that introduces them to the faculty role, responsibilities and privileges.
[graduate assistance in area of national need]
GAANN is a HRSA funded project designed to increase the number of nurse faculty. All GAANN students receive a fellowship and engage in supervised teaching experience. Like the NFLP students, each participates in a learning community that introduces them to the faculty role, responsibilities and privileges.
- Polifroni, E.C. & Welch, M. L. (1999).eds. Historical and Contemporary Perspectives on Philosophy of Science in Nursing: An Anthropology. PA: Lippincott.
- Polifroni, EC, Allchin, L. & McNulty, J. (October 2003) Medication errors: More basic than a system issue. Journal Nursing Education. 40:
- Polifroni, EC, Allchin, L. & McNulty, J. (2005) Limited math skills: A prescription for change. Journal of Nursing Staff Development, 21(2)79-81
- ANCC Nursing Administration Advanced, 11/30/2009, 0343596
- End-of-life care trainer (ELNEC, July 2004)
- Magnet Appraiser 1994-present
- 2003: Outstanding Service Award School of Nursing University of Connecticut (October 16, 2003)
- 2001: Saint Anselm College Distinguished Alumnae Award for Academic Excellence
2000: University of Connecticut Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award
1997: Josephine Dolan Award for Outstanding Contributions to Nursing Education Mu Chapter Sigma Theta Tau InternationalBassi, S. & Polifroni, EC. (in press 2005). Learning communities: the link to recruitment and retention. Journal of Nursing Staff Development
Bassi, S. & Polifroni, EC. (in press 2005). Learning communities: the link to recruitment and retention. Journal of Nursing Staff Development