PhD, RN, FNAP, FAAN
Associate Dean for Research and Scholarship, Professor
P: (860) 486-4435 (UConn Office)
University of Connecticut
School of Nursing
Storrs Hall, Room 313D
231 Glenbrook Road, Unit 4026
Storrs, Connecticut 06269Coordinator, Nursing Research
Connecticut Children’s Medical Center
P: (860) 837-5586 (CCMC Office)
In the News
Learn about Dr. McGrath’s CCMC/UCONN Partnership.
UConn & CCMC – Partners Improving Outcomes for High Risk Infants – Unison 2013
- Family centered developmental interventions for improving outcomes in high risk infants in the neonatal intensive care unit.
- McGrath, J. M., Brown, R. E. & (Abou) Samra, H. (2012) Before you search the literature: How to prepare and get the most out of citation databases. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews, 12(3), 162-170.
- *Matsuda, Y., Masho, S., & McGrath, J. M. (2012). The relationship between repeated unintended pregnancies and current contraceptive use: National survey of family growth (NSFG) 2006–2008 data. Journal of Community Health Nursing, 29(3), 163-172. doi: 10.1080/07370016.2012.697848
- Gephart, S. M., McGrath, J. M., Effken, J. A., & Halpern, M. D. (2012). Risks for Necrotizing Enterocolitis in Neonates: State of the Science. Advances in Neonatal Care. 12(2), 77-87, quiz 88-89. doi: 10.1097/ANC.0b013e31824cee94. PMID: 22469959
- McGrath, J. M. (2012). Involving fathers in the care of the high-risk newborn: What could we be doing better? Developmental Observer: The Official Newsletter of the NIDCAP Federation International, 5(2), 6-7.
- Cartagena, D., Northoek, A., Wagner, S, & McGrath, J. M. (2012). Family centered care and nursing research. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews, 12(3), 118-119. doi: 10.1053/j.nainr.2012.06.009
- McGrath, J. M. (2012). Is evidence-based practice routine in the golden hour? Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, 26(2), 109-111. PMID: 22551855.
- Lindner, S. L, & McGrath, J. M. (2012). Family centered care in the delivery room environment. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews, 12(2), 70-72. doi:10.1053/j.nainr.2012.03.004.
- McGrath, J. M. (2012). Strategies to Support the Transition to Home. Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, 26(1), 8-9. doi: 10.1097/JPN.0b013e3182437255. PMID: 22293635
- Gephart, S. M., & McGrath, J. M. (2012). Family-centered care of the surgical patient. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews, 12(1), 5-7. doi:10.1053/j.nainr.2011.12.002. PMID: 22611334
- Baker, B. J, & McGrath, J. M. (2011). Maternal infant synchrony: An integrated review of the literature. Neonatal, Paediatric and Child Health Nursing, 14(3), 2-13.
- *Ho, Y. J., & McGrath, J. M. (2011). Predicting breastfeeding duration related to maternal attitudes in a Taiwanese sample of postpartum mothers. Journal of Perinatal Education, 20(4), 188-199. doi: 10.1891/1058-1243.20.4.188
- McGrath, J. M., Butt, M. L., & (Abou) Samra, H. (2011) Loss of a Multiple in the NICU. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews, 11(4), 203-214. doi:10.1053/j.nainr.2011.09.011.(Abou) Samra, H., McGrath, J. M., & Hobbs, B. B. (2011). Patient safety in the NICU: Challenges and strategies. International Hospital and Equipment & Solutions (IHE), Pan Global Media, Brussels, Belgium. 37(October), 8-10. http://www.ihe-online.com/feature-articles/patient-safety-in-the-nicu-challenges-and-strategies/index.html
- Gephart, S. M., McGrath, J. M., & Effken, J. A. (2011). Failure to Rescue in Neonatal Care. Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, 25(3), 275-282. doi: 10.1097/JPN.0b013e318227cc03. PMID: 21825918
- McGrath, J. M., Cone, S., & (Abou) Samra, H. (2011) Neuroprotection in the preterm infant: Further understanding of the short and long term implications for brain development. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews, 11(3), 109-112. doi: 10.1053/j.nainr.2011.07.002
- (Abou) Samra, H., McGrath, J. M., & Wehbe, M. (2011). An integrated review of developmental outcomes and late preterm birth. JOGNN: Journal of Obstetrical, Gynecological and Neonatal Nursing, 40(4), 399-411. doi: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2011.01270.x. PMID: 21771069
- McGrath, J. M., (Abou) Samra, H., & Kenner, C. (2011). Family centered developmental care practices and research: What will the next century bring? Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, 25(2), 165-170. doi: 10.1097/JPN.0b013e31821a6706. PMID: 21540694.
- (Abou) Samra, H., McGrath, J. M., & Rollins, W. (2011). Patient safety in the NICU: A comprehensive review. Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, 25(2), 123-132. doi: 10.1097/JPN.0b013e31821693b2 PMID: 21540686.
- *Ho, Y. J., & McGrath, J. M. (2011). A Chinese version of the Iowa Infant Feeding Attitude Scale: Reliability and validity assessment. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 48(4), 475-478. doi: 10.1016/j.inurstu.2010.09.001 PMID: 20961544.
- To see all McGrath’s publications please see current Curriculum Vitae
Contributing Journal Editor
- Advances in Neonatal Care (2010-present): Evidence-Based Briefs: Section Editor.
- Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing. (2005-present): Neonatal Expert Column.
- Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews. (2006-present): Family Dynamics Column.
Journal Guest Editor
- 2013 – February, 42(1). JOGNN: Journal of Obstetrical, Gynecological and Neonatal Nursing, In Focus: Developmental Care of High Risk Infants
- 2012 – September/October, 12(5). Advances in Neonatal Care, Journal Supplement: Family Centered Developmentally Supportive Care
- 2011 – September, 11(3). Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews. Journal Topic: Neuroprotective Strategies
- 2009 – September, 23(3). Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing. Journal Topic: Professional Issues
- 2007 – March, 7(1). Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews. Journal Topic: Family Issues.
- 2005 – December, 5(4). Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews. Journal Topic: Problems in Infancy
- 2002 – March, 2(1). Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews. Journal Topic: Developmental Care.
- 2001 – December, 15(3). Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing. Journal Topic: Family Centered Care.
Service – National Association of Neonatal Nurses
Present-2011 Chair, Research Institute Steering Council
Present-2011 Member, Educational Leadership Workgroup
2011-2009 Committee Chair – Developmental Care Certification Online Review Course
2011- 2008 Co-editor 2nd edition – Developmental Care Of Newborns and Infants: Guide for Health Professions – association taskforce coordinator
2011-2010 Coordinator; Infant Developmental Specialist Designation
2010-2008 Coordinator; Advanced Competency in Developmental Care
2008-2005 Taskforce for the design & development of a Developmental Care Competency for staff nurses in the neonatal ICU – Project Coordinator
Service – Sigma Theta Tau International
2011-2008: Gamma Omega Chapter, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA Board of Directors – Member – Chair – Research & Scholarship Committee
2008-2006: Beta Upsilon Chapter, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ – 2nd Vice-President Board of Directors – Member
2004-2002: Beta Upsilon Chapter, Phoenix, AZ – Chair Nominations Committee Board of Directors – Member
Grant Review Activities
American Nursing Foundation
2012-2011: Chair – Nursing Research Reviewer Committee (NRRC)
2011-2010: Vice-Chair – Nursing Research Reviewer Committee (NRRC)
2010-2009: Nursing Research Reviewer Committee (NRRC)
2009-2008: Stage 1; Grant Reviewer (NRGR)
AWHONN – Association of Women’s Health, Obstetrical, and Neonatal Nurses
2010- 2008 Research Advisory Panel – Corresponding Member
Health Resources & Services Administration: Bureau of Health Professions
2010, August Advanced Nursing Education, Grant Review Panel Member
2003, July Health Professionals, Grant Review Panel Member
2003, March Advanced Nursing Education, Grant Review Panel Member
2002, April Advanced Nursing Education, Grant Review Panel Member
National Institute of Health (study section member)
2012, June ZRG1 HDM-T (90) Multidisciplinary Healthcare Delivery Research<
2012, February ZRG1 HDM-T (90) Multidisciplinary Healthcare Delivery Research
2012, February Health Services Organization & Delivery (HSOD)
2011, October ZRG1 HDM-T (90) Multidisciplinary Healthcare Delivery Research
2009, June Stage 1 NIH Challenge Grant applications; mail reviewer
2011 AJN Book of the Year Award; 2nd Place in Maternal Child Category. Developmental Care of Newborns and Infants: A Guide for Health Professionals (2nd ed.). Kenner, C., & McGrath, J. M. (Eds). (2010).
2011 Central Virginia: Neonatal Nurse of the Year, March of Dimes
2011 Phi Kappa Phi – Virginia Commonwealth University; Chapter #193
2010 Faculty Mentor for Sigma Theta Tau International: Nurse Faculty Mentored Leadership Development Program (NFMLD).
2008 Distinguished Service in Neonatal Nursing Award – National Association of Neonatal Nurses
2007 American Academy of Nursing (Fellow)
2006 Publication Award: The article; State of the Science: Feeding Readiness in the Preterm Infant, published in Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing (JPNN).
2006 Research Dissemination Award Arizona State University, College of Nursing, Tempe, AZ
2005 National Academies of Practice (FNAP); Fellow – Nursing Academy
2004 Joyce Finch Faculty Achievement Award –
2004 Excellence in Leadership, Sigma Theta Tau International, Beta Upsilon Chapter, ASU College of Nursing, Tempe, AZ
2003 Research and Grant Writing Award. Arizona State University, College of Nursing, Tempe, AZ
2001 Outstanding Alumni. College of Nursing, University of Akron, Akron, OH.