Dr. Judge is an expert in essential fatty acid metabolism and has a record of leading national and foundationally funded research. Her research program is focused on the influence of long chain omega-3 fatty acids in symptom management and biobehavioral health outcomes in women and infants. Specific research methodologies include omic, biochemical and microbiome based approaches for translational and clinical bio-behavioral discovery.
Dr. Judge has authored over 26 publications related to her program of research. Her complete list of published work is available on MyBibliography.
Grant Award (2017): Role: PI. Seafood Industry Research Fund (SIRF) and the Alaskan Seafood Marketing Institute (ASMI), Adaptive Symptom Care Using Fish-Based Nutritional Directives Post Breast Cancer. Status: Project Underway.
Grant Award (2016): Role: PI. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Herbert and Nylda Gemple Award, Association between dietary omega-3 fatty acid intake patterns and psychoneurological symptoms in women following treatment for early-stage breast cancer. Status: Project Completed.
Grant Award (2016): Role: PI. Connecticut Institute for Clinical and Translational Science (CICATS) Pre-K Career Development Award supporting the development of research investigating the role of long chain omega-3 fatty acids in reducing inflammatory load, psychoneurological symptoms and expression of lipogenic genes in women following treatment for early-stage breast cancer. Status: Project Completed.
Grant Award (2015): Role: PI. Seafood Industry Research Fund (SIRF) to expand an existing pilot project to evaluate associations between Omega-3LCPUFA supplementation and inflammatory cytokines, BMI and postpartum depressive symptomatology. Status: Project completed.
Grant Award (2015): Role: PI. CT Sea Grant to expand an existing survey project to Obstetric Physicians of attitudes, knowledge & prescribing patterns of Omega-3 with obstetric patients. Funded also to develop an informational web site and mobile app. Status: Project completed.
Grant Award (2014): Role: PI. TONER award from the University of Connecticut for a pilot project investigating associations between Omega-3LCPUFA supplementation and inflammatory cytokines (IL-6, IL-1, CRP, TNFα) and postpartum depressive symptomatology. Status: Project completed.
Grant Award (2013): Role: PI. Academy of Nutrition & Dieteticsto conduct a needs assessment of Certified Nurse Midwives attitudes, knowledge & prescribing patterns of Omega-3 with obstetric patients. Status: Project completed.
Training (2014/2015): Attended Jackson Laboratory’s 55th Annual Short Course on Medical and Experimental Mammalian Genetics. PI also established a working collaboration with Dr. Erin Young who is a Geneticist on faculty at the University of Connecticut with expertise in SNP analyses and who will collaborate on this investigation.
Journal Reviewer/Editorial Boards
- Bio Accent Open Journal
- Early Human Development
- European Journal of Nutrition
- International Archives of Nursing and Healthcare
- International Journal of Nursing Sciences
- Journal of Adolescent Health
- Journal of Sleep Disorders & Therapy
- Journal of Obstetrical and Neonatal Nursing (JOGNN), Reviewer & Guest Editor
- Open Agricultural Journal
- Research in Nursing and Health
National and International Peer Review Grant Panels
- Sigma Theta Tau International grant reviewer, Summer (2016 & 2017)
- NIH- Risk, Prevention and Health Behavior Integrated Review Group and Biobehavioral and Behavioral Processes Integrated Review Group- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). December 7 2009
Offices Held in Professional Organizations
American Oil Chemists Society:
- (Elected) Secretary and Treasurer, Division of Health & Nutrition (February 2017- January 2018)
- (Elected) Secretary, Division of Health & Nutrition, (May 2008-2010)
- Co-Chair Poster Award Committee (2017 annual meeting)
- Editor, Division of Health & Nutrition Newsletter, (May 2006-May 2008