The School of Nursing’s mission is to educate nursing scholars, clinicians, leaders, and health care consumers through the generation and dissemination of new knowledge developed in innovative scholarship to foster interprofessional evidence-based practice with the goal of advancing the health of individuals, communities, and systems, both locally and globally.
UConn’s School of Nursing has a timeless commitment to wellness and works to provide the exceptional education needed to succeed in this rapidly evolving profession. The School, founded in 1942, is located on the main campus in Storrs, Connecticut, with select courses offered at the regional campuses. The School is fully approved and accredited, and our undergraduate, graduate, and certificate nursing programs are supported by well-qualified faculty, many of whom are internationally renowned experts in their areas of specialty.
All full-time tenure track faculty members are prepared at the doctoral level. The School has access to adjunct faculty members from a wide variety of agencies in the state to serve as clinical experts and is affiliated with health care agencies within Connecticut as well as many others nationally. Academic Facilities consist of specialized services and resources for students provided in modern facilities, multimedia classrooms, and newly built academic centers.
Our Clinical Simulation Learning Center provides undergraduate students a location to transfer knowledge from theory to practice and graduate students an environment to practice advanced health assessment skills. The School’s Office of Nursing Research facilitates both student and faculty research.
The philosophy of the School of Nursing is directed by six guiding principles, affirmed in 2019:
Professionalism in behavior, presentation, and conduct
Respectful of the richness and diversity of others and of self
Accountability for my actions
eXcellence in scholarship, practice, teaching, and service
Integrity, inquisitiveness, and innovation
Service to the profession and the community
Consistent with the metaparadigm of nursing, each person is viewed as a unique dynamic individual interconnected with others and continually interacting and responding with the environment. Environment is the context in which the human experience of health occurs. Humans have culturally derived values and beliefs that give meaning to life and health. Health is a non-linear entity characterized as a matter of personal meaning and interpretation; an ever-changing quality of living and dying influenced by myriad sociocultural, spiritual, economic, physical, developmental and psychological variables. Nursing practice is the convergence of caring elements, ways of knowing, person, health and environment.
Policy on Zero Tolerance for Disrespect
The University of Connecticut School of Nursing Faculty approved a policy on zero tolerance for disrespect, effective Sept. 28, 2020:
The University of Connecticut School of Nursing is committed to maintaining and strengthening an environment founded on respect. Disrespect of others based on personal characteristics, including race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, disability, national origin or citizenship status, is antithetical to the standards and ideals of our school community and of the profession of nursing. It is a violation of the second guiding principle of the School’s philosophy, PRAXIS, and of the first provision of the American Nurses Association Code of Ethics.
Any student believed to have disrespected others based on personal characteristics, including race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, disability, national origin or citizenship status, shall be provided a written description of the alleged violation(s), with a copy to the Dean. Then the University’s Procedures on Student Discipline, Dismissal and Appeal Process from Professional/Clinical Programs (“Procedures”) will be followed but the alleged violation will go directly to a hearing body. The hearing body will consist of five members, two of which will be students. Any student found by the hearing body to have violated the second guiding principle of the School’s philosophy, PRAXIS, and the first provision of the American Nurses Association Code of Ethics by disrespecting others based on personal characteristics, including race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, disability, national origin or citizenship status, will be dismissed from the program.
Over 75 Years of Nursing Excellence
For over three quarters of a century, the University of Connecticut School of Nursing has prepared professional nurses who have gone on to provide leadership at state, national and international levels.
The School of Nursing was the first public institution in Connecticut to offer a program leading to a bachelor’s degree in nursing, and in the fall of 1942, thirteen students were the first to be enrolled into the newly established UConn School of Nursing. Other hallmarks of the school’s development include the establishment of the master’s degree program (1971) and the establishment of the doctoral degree program (1994).
Carolyn Ladd Widmer
A Phi Beta Kappa Wellesley College and Yale University School of Nursing graduate, Carolyn Ladd Widmer, served as the school’s first dean from 1942 to 1967. Prior to her arrival at UConn, she was the founding director of the School of Nursing at the American University of Beirut. Within her time as dean, UConn was rated in the top 25% of the nation’s schools of nursing by the 1949 survey performed by the National Committee for the Improvement of Nursing Services.
Josephine A. Dolan
The faculty appointment of the first-full time instructor, Josephine A. Dolan, in 1944, was of great importance. Dolan’s later revision to the Goodnow’s History of Nursing appeared in 1953, and became Dolan's History of Nursing, and later known as Nursing in Society. She was a national authority on the history of nursing and her revisions earned her two honorary doctorates, as well as the Connecticut Nurses’ Association establishment of an award in her honor for outstanding contributions to nursing education.
Through the Years
’40s and ’50s
’50s and ’60s
’80s and ’90s
Marlene F. Kramer was Dean of the school from 1980 through 1987. During her tenure as Dean, the school expanded its research mission and revised the curricula for undergraduate and graduate programs. Also under her leadership, the Alumni Association became an important force in the life of the school.
Beverly Koerner was Dean from 1988 through 1993, and while in office she helped in the further expansion and dedications for the School of nursing. In 1991, the School of Nursing building, which originally housed the university’s first infirmary, was renamed the Carolyn Ladd Widmer Building in honor of the school’s first dean. In the same year, the School’s Center for Nursing Research was founded and the university acquired the professional book collection of renowned nurse leader, Virginia A. Henderson, thereby enhancing the research resources for both students and faculty.
In 1992, the school’s 50th anniversary was further marked by the dedication of a room in Storrs Hall honoring Josephine A. Dolan, Professor Emeritus and renowned nurse historian, who had been a School of Nursing faculty member for 35 years. Three years later she donated a valuable collection of papers which created the core for a designated history of nursing collection in the new Dodd Research Center.
Barbara Redman served as dean from 1995 through 1998, followed by Dean Laura Dzurec from 2001 to 2006, then Dean Anne R. Bavier from 2007 to 2011. Each dean continued to add to the growing environment at the University of Connecticut by improving the curriculum, supporting research, and continuing a tradition of excellence.
The history of the UConn School of Nursing is evolving daily as new techniques, faculty, and research findings enhance the student’s ability to render care to each patient. From meager beginnings, the school has drastically expanded into the powerhouse of institutional training it is today. Every faculty member, alumni, and student body have contributed to the establishment of one of the nation’s top nursing schools, and the continuation of these members work will add further insight and accomplishments to the long list held at the University of Connecticut.
2000s and 2010s
The School made significant advances in nursing education throughout the 2000s with the integration of interactive patient simulation mannequins in the on-campus simulation lab and the inauguration of full-semester clinical education abroad programs in Cape Town, South Africa, and San Juan, Puerto Rico. The School began its Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program to develop advanced clinical practice, institutional leadership and policy analysis. The 11-month post-baccalaureate program, the Master’s Entry into Nursing (now Certificate Entry into Nursing, or CEIN) began and quickly expanded the nursing workforce. Dean Laura Dzurec and Dean Anne Bavier led these visionary innovations in nursing education and research. The School expanded its interdisciplinary and interprofessional teaching and research through strategic faculty hiring in the fields of medicine, education, biostatistics, technical communication, and nutrition science.
In 2012, the 15,000-square-foot Widmer Wing addition to the school’s existing space in Storrs Hall opened its doors. The addition includes state-of-the-art classroom and laboratory facilities, including high-tech simulation technologies.
The School celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2017, marking the occasion with a gala for alumni, donors, faculty, and staff.
By 2019, the School of Nursing had over 600 pre-licensure students in more than 700 contracted clinical sites, over 130 master’s degree students in 5 specialty areas, and almost 100 doctoral students in the Ph.D. and DNP programs, educated in Storrs Hall and its state-of-the-art Widmer Wing. Under the leadership of Dean Regina Cusson, Dean Carol Polifroni, and current Dean Deborah Chyun, the School of Nursing engages advanced interdisciplinary research through its Center for Advancement in Managing Pain, the Center for Corrections Health Networks, and Conversations About Health Analytics, Technology Transfer, Evaluation and Research (CHATTER). Other research strengths include neonatal, infant, and maternal care, diabetes care, and geriatric care.
Buildings and Archives
Completed in 1919 at a cost of $47,732.42, the Widmer building was the University of Connecticut’s first infirmary. A substantial building, it was built of red brick on a stone foundation with a slate roof and attached wooden porches. It contained an open ward for patients, several private rooms, office space and a large solarium with a fireplace.
Located next to Swan Lake, then called Duck Pond, the infirmary was surrounded by a grove of tall trees until a hurricane destroyed many of them. The original setting was a valuable adjunct to any treatment for ill students that was offered at the time.
The School of Nursing first occupied the Widmer Building, also known as “the cottage,” in 1950 when the present day infirmary was opened. Conversion of the old infirmary’s open ward into a classroom, and the private rooms into offices, made the space suitable for academic purposes. The new accommodations also provided the expanding school with much appreciated relief after almost a decade of being in confined quarters in the Home Economics building, which is now known as the Design and Resource Management building.
From the mid 1950’s until the 1968-69 academic year, the building was shared with the School of Physical Therapy. Essentially, one wing of the building was assigned to each school. The basement room served as a combined library and conference room, and a small adjoining area contained hydrotherapy facilities and a men’s shower and locker room.
Some school of nursing alumni recall that for many years some of the class and office rooms still retained call-lights above the doorways to summon the nurses who had cared for the first occupants of the building. Additional renovations in the late 1960s further modified the building’s interior space to meet academic needs. Other indicators of the evolution of the school are display cases and wall plaques which mark students’ and faculty awards for scholarly achievements and the 1955 establishment of the school’s Sigma Theta Tau chapter.
Despite considered thought to preserve the building by moving it to another site, and despite its being declared an historic landmark, structural deterioration of the 77-year-old building and exorbitant costs for its relocation prohibited that possibility.