UConn SON Graduate Programs
The School of Nursing offers entry into the PhD program for students holding a bachelor’s degree in Nursing. This option is intended for nurses who wish to focus their career on research, public policy, administration, history, and/or nursing philosophy and theory.
Mary Grace Amendola – 2010
Olga Jarrin – 2010
Carrie Ellen Briere – 2014
Behan Duran – 2014
Laura Lewis – 2014
- Online Application
- Application to the Graduate School of the University, which includes transcripts of all prior academic work.
- Eligibility for licensure as a registered nursing in Connecticut.
- A cumulative undergraduate minimum GPA of 3.25.
- Three reference letters that address the applicant’s level of commitment, leadership ability, clinical practice, professional involvement, and scholarly potential.
- A personal statement addressing the candidate’s goals, accomplishments, research interests, dissertation topic, commitment, leadership, practice, professional involvement, and timeframe for degree completion.
- Description of career and educational experiences that have formed a focus and expertise in a selected area of nursing, and how the applicant sees this background as a foundation for developing a scholarly pathway. If the applicant’s background relative to the projected scholarly pathway is lacking a component that selected master’s level clinical courses could fulfill, the applicant may be required to complete selected clinical courses as part of the program of study.
- Submission of any published works or scholarly papers.
- Completion of a nursing science course (BA or graduate).
- A personal interview.
The PhD Program is located at:
University of Connecticut School of Nursing
231 Glenbrook Rd
Storrs, CT 06269-2026
For more information:
UConn School of Nursing
Admission and Enrollment Services
Storrs Hall, Widmer Wing Room 17
231 Glenbrook Road, Unit 4026
Storrs, CT 06269-4026
phone (860) 486-1968
fax (860) 486-0906
Cost of Graduate Program
Center for Nursing Scholarship
University Computer Center
Archives of Nursing Leadership (Dodd Center)
SON Alumni Society
Reference Form for Graduate Student Applicants (Interactive)