PhD, MBI, MS, MSc
Professor in Residence
Director of Health Information Technology
P: (860) 486-5915 (UConn Office)
University of Connecticut
School of Nursing
Storrs Hall, Room 313C
231 Glenbrook Road, Unit 4026
Storrs, Connecticut 06269
Health Information Technology Website
Electronic health records and Health IT implementations, Quality Improvement, Developing Performance Measurement Systems, Evaluating quality within health systems, Program evaluation, Data integration, Decision-support systems, HIT policy, Clinical informatics, Health Information Exchange (HIE), business intelligence, big data, public health and behavioral health informatics, implementation research, and health policy.
Dr. Tikoo also serves as the Health and Human services Health IT coordinator and as the Director of Business Intelligence & Shared Analytics for the Dept. of Social Services.
Current Research Funding
HHS/CMS/CT-DSS PI 7/1/2014 – 9/30/2021
(7/1/14-6/30/16) Assist DSS in the implementation the EHR Incentive Program by analyzing Meaningful Use Stage 1 and Stage 2 data. Implement SB 811- HIT Strategic and Operational plan. Serve as the HHS HIT Coordinator and the Director of the Business Intelligence Competency Center for the DSS.
HHS/CMS/CT-DSS CMS-1H1-13-001 PI 5/1/2014 – 4/30/2018
Planning and Demonstration Grant for Testing Experience and Functional Tools in Community-Based Long Term Services and Supports (TEFT).
HHS/CMS – Innovation Center/CT-OHA/CT-DSS PI 2/1/2015 – 1/31/2019
State Innovative Model Grant – HIT Component
- Tikoo M*. Assessing the limitations of the existing physician directory for measuring electronic health record (EHR) adoption rates among physicians in Connecticut, USA: cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2012; 2(6).
- Garnick DW, Lee MT, Horgan C, Acevedo A, Botticelli M, Clark S, Davis S, Gallati M, Haberlin K, Hanchett A, Lambert-Wacey D, Leeper T, Siemianowski J, & Tikoo M. (2011). Lessons from five states: Public sector use of Washington Circle performance measures. J Subst Abuse Treat, 40, 241-254.
- Mohan, R., Tikoo, M., Capela, S., and Bernstein, D. (2007). “Increasing Evaluation Use Among Policymakers Through Performance Measurement.” In R. Mohan and K. Sullivan (editors), Promoting the Use of Government Evaluations in Policymaking, New Directions for Evaluation, vol. 112, Winter 2006.
- Tikoo, M*. (1997). Sexual attitudes and behaviors of school students (grades 6-12) in India, The Journal of Sex Research, 34(1), 77-84.
- Tikoo, M*. (1996). An exploratory study to assess the developmental concerns of middle age men and women in India, Psychological Reports, 78, 883-887.
- Tikoo, M*., Bollman, S. R., & Bergen, M. B. (1995). Knowledge level of youth in India regarding human sexuality and AIDS, Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, Vol. 21(4), Winter, 246-252.
- Tikoo, M*. (1994). The 1989-90 migration of Kashmiri Pandits: Focus on children. Psychological Reports, 75, 259-263.
- Tikoo, M*. (1993). Migration of Kashmiri Pandit families: Focus on the child. Indian Council of Child Welfare Journal, July-December, 35-37.
Tikoo, M*. (1997). Plan to control AIDS: A profile of India. In Confronting the AIDS epidemic: Cross cultural perspectives on HIV/AIDS education by Davidson C. Umeh (Ed.), Trenton, NJ: Africa World Press Inc.
- Member of the Academy for Health Services Research and Health Policy.
- Member of the American Medical Informatics Association
- Member of the American Health Information Management Association.
- Member of American Evaluation Association (AEA).
Academic Honors and Awards
1991 – Shrimati Satyawati Sharma Gold Medal
1993-94 – Mae Baird Memorial Scholarship
1993 – Kappa Omicron Nu National Honor Society
1993-95 – Helen C. Schutte Memorial Scholarship
1995 – Doretta S. Hoffman Scholarship
1995 – Kansas Council on Family Relations
2009-2013 – Connecticut Institute for Clinical & Translational Science Award (CICATS)