- Use of reminiscence to improve the mental health and well-being of older Black adults
- Use of reminiscence to increase physical activity and decrease pain
- Development, implementation and evaluation of community-university partnerships to improve older adults health outomes
- Community-based participatory research
- Shellman, J. (in press). Age and gender differences in reminiscence functions among a sample of Black adults: Implications for psychiatric nurses. Archives in Psychiatric Nursing.
- Shellman, J. & Zhang, D. (2014). Psychometric evaluation of the modified reminiscence functions scale.Journal of Nursing Measurement. 22(3):500-10.
- Nicholson, N., & Shellman, J. (2013). The effects of the Carelink model on social isolation in older adults.Research in Gerontological Nursing. doi: 10.3928/19404921-20130110-01.
- Shellman J. (2012). Engaging students in gerontological research: The STARR program. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38(9):13-7.
- Shellman, J., Granara, C., & Rosengarten, E. (2011). Barriers to depression care for older Black adults, practice and policy implications. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 37(6), 13-17.
- Shellman J., Ennis, E., & Addison, K. (2011). A contextual examination of reminiscence in older African-Americans. Journal of Aging Studies.doi:10.1016/j.jaging.2011.01.001.
- Shellman, J. & Mokel, M (2010). Overcoming barriers to conducting an intervention study for depression in an older African-American population. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 21(4):361-369.
- Shellman, J. & Mokel, M. (2009). The effects of an integrative reminiscence program on depressive symptoms in older African-Americans. Western Journal of Nursing Research. first published on May 15 as doi: 10.1177/0193945909335863.
- Shellman, J. Lacey, K., & Clemmens, D. (2008). CARELINK: Partners in caring model, a cardiac self-management program for homebound older adults.Home Healthcare Nurse. 26(10):582-588.
- Shellman, J, Mokel, M, & Wright, B. (2007). Keeping the bully out. Understanding older African-Americans perceptions of depression. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. Vol. 13, No. 4, 230-236.
- Shellman, J. (2007). The effects of a reminiscence education program on BSN students’ cultural self-efficacy. Nurse Education Today. 27(1):43-51
- Shellman, J (2006). Reliability and validity testing of the Eldercare Cultural Self-Efficacy Scale. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. Vol. 3: No. 1, Article 9. Available at: http://www.bepress.com/ijnes/vol3/iss1/art9
- Shellman, J. (2006). Making a connection. BSN students’ perceptions of their reminiscence experiences with elders. Journal of Nursing Education 45(12), 8-16.
- Shellman, J. (2004). “Nobody ever asked me before.” Understanding life experiences of African-American elders. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 15, 308 – 316.
- Bernal, H., Shellman, J., & Reid, K. (2004). Essential concepts in developing community-university partnerships, Partners in caring, the Carelink model.Public Health Nursing,21(1), 32-40.
President, International Institute for Reminiscence of Life
Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Reminiscence and Life Review
- 2008 Community Service Partnership Award Visiting Nurse Association of South Central Connecticut
- 2008 NIH Summer Training Institute on the Design and Conduct of Randomized Clinical Trials Involving Behavioral Interventions Fellow
- 2007 Yale Clinical Translational Science Award Scholar
- 2005 National Institute of Aging/National Institute of Health Summer Aging Research Institute Participant
- 2004-2006 John A. Hartford Foundation Building Academic Geriatric Nursing Capacity Post-Doctoral Fellow
- 2004 Hartford Institute Summer Geriatric Nursing Research Seminar Scholar
- 2004 University of Connecticut, School of Nursing Mary Lawrence Award Nursing Research Development Award
- 2002 University of Connecticut, School of Nursing Carolyn Ladd Widmer Award for significant scholarly contributions in the field of nursing research
- 1999 University of Connecticut, School of Nursing the Eleanor K. Gill Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice
- 1998 Sigma Theta Tau- National Honor Society of Nursing
- 1992 St. Mary’s Hospital, School of Nursing Sr. Margaret Rosita Award for Caring in Clinical Practice