DNSc, CNM, FAAN
Joint Appointment in School of Medicine
Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
P: (860) 486-0547
F: (860) 486-0001
University of Connecticut
School of Nursing
Storrs Hall, Room 317
231 Glenbrook Road, Unit 4026
Storrs, Connecticut 06269
- Postpartum Depression
- PTSD Due to Childbirth
- Instrument Development
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Docasahexaenoic Acid in Pregnancy:
Postpartum Depression, Donaghue Foundation,
$240,000, with C.J. Lammi-O Keefe (1/05-8/09)
- Beck, C.T., Gable, R.K., Sakala, C., Declercq, E.R. (2011). Posttraumatic stress disorder in new mothers: Results from a two-stage U.S. national survey. Birth, 38, 216-227..
- Beck, C.T., Gable, R.K., Sakala, C., Declercq, E.R. (2011). Postpartum depression in new mothers: Results from a two-stage U.S. national survey. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 56, 427-435.
- Beck, C. T. (2011). A metaethnography of traumatic childbirth and its aftermath: Amplifying causal looping. Qualitative Health Research, 21, 301-311.
- Beck, C.T. (2011). Secondary traumatic stress in nurses: A systematic review. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 25, 1-10.
- Beck, C.T. & Watson, S. (2010). Subsequent childbirth after a previous traumatic birth. Nursing Research, 59, 241-249.
- Beck, C.T. & Driscoll, J.W. (2006). Postpartum mood and anxiety disorders: A clinician’s guide. Sudbury, Ma.: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Beck, C.T., & Watson, S. (2008). The Impact of Birth Trauma on Breastfeeding: A Tale of Two Pathways. Nursing Research, 57, 228-236.
- Beck, C.T. (2006). The anniversay of birth trauma: Failure to rescue. Nursing Research, 55, 381-390.
- Beck, C.T., & Gable, R.K. (2002), Postpartum Depression Screening Scale Manual. Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services.
Board Member, Institute of Qualitative Research, University of Alberta.
Advisory Board, MotherWoman, Inc.
Senior Nurse Scientist, Massachusetts General Hospital, Yvonne L. Munn Center for Nursing
Postpartum Resource Center of New York, Advisory Board
Editorial Board, Journal of Perinatal Education
Donaghue Policy Advisory Committee, Donaghue Medical Research Foundation
Postpartum Support International President’s Council
Editorial Board, Advances in Nursing Science
- 2012 Annie Goodrich Distinguished Nurse Lectureship Award, Institute of Living, Hartford, CT.
- 2012 Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health 2012 Best Research Article Award for “Postpartum Depressive Symptomatology: Results from a Two-Stage U.S. National Survey (co-authored with Robert Gable, Carol Sakala, and Eugene Declercq).
- 2011 AJN 2011 Book of the Year Award for Nursing Research: Nursing Research: Generating and Assessing Evidence for Nursing Practice (9th edition) (co-authored with Denise F. Polit).
- 2011 Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing’s 2011 Best Publication Award for Best of Journal of Nursing Scholarship-Profession, World Health, and Health Systems for “International Differences in Nursing Research 2005-2006” (co-authored with Denise F. Polit).
- 2009 Distinguished Professional Service Award, Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nursing.
- 2009 The Jane Honikman Award for outstanding contribution to emotional health related to childbearing, Postpartum Support International.
- 2008 University of Connecticut Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor.
- 2002 Outstanding Alumna Award and also Centennial Award for Excellence, Western Connecticut State University.
- 2001 Excellence in Research Award, Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nursing.
- 1999 Distinguished Alumna Award, Yale University.
- 1999 Distinguished Researcher Award, Eastern Nursing Research Society.
- 1993 Induction into Fellowship of the American Academy of Nursing.